To encourage, motivate and honour high levels of piano playing and piano teaching nationwide, and to promote musical awareness through participation in performing.
Rules of Entry
- The competition has an age limit of 25 and under for all categories.
- Entrants are allowed to enter one class only.
Categories - Level - Max. platform time (minutes) - Fee (£)
- Preparatory (non-competitive)
Grade 1 or below
- Preparatory (competitive)
Grade 1 or below
- Intermediate I
- Intermediate II
- Advanced I
- Advanced II
- Advanced III
Post-Grade 8 AND studying at Specialist Music Schools, Conservatoires or University
- Advanced IV
Professional students studying full time at a Conservatoire or University
Round 1 Performance Rules
- Two or more contrasting pieces should be played. Category entry is determined by the piece of the highest level in the set.
- A repertoire list is available to assist teachers in the categorisation of pieces. This is an ongoing list. For repertoire enquires, please contact admin [at] epta-uk.org
- The competition organisers reserve the right to re-allocate a participant to a different class.
- No changes to the repertoire are permitted once the application form has been received.
- Performance that goes over the time limit will be stopped and may be penalised.
- Performance time limits must be observed. Time starts on the first note and includes the time in between pieces. Pianists are not required to announce their pieces; any spoken introductions must be included in the overall performance time.
- The adjudicator(s)’s decision is final.
Round 1 Locations
NB Some regions are in the process of confirming the date, venues and adjudicator. Please check this page for updates and contact information.
- EPTA Swansea (Closed)
Saturday 19 November 2022
Coach House, 878 Carmarthen Road, Fforest-fach, Swansea SA5 8HR
Adjudicator: Pippa Harrison
Organiser: Hyelim Morris
Closing date: 10 November 2022
- EPTA Kent (Closed)
Sunday 20 November 2022
Springfield 29 Ashford Road Maidstone ME14 5DP
Adjudicator: Tim Barratt
Organiser: Nancy Litten (nancylitten [at] btinternet.com)
Closing date: 13 November
- EPTA Yorkshire
Sunday 8 January 2023
Elizabeth Hall, Wakefield Grammar School, Wakefield, WF1 3QX
Adjudicator: Josephine Peach
Organiser: Simon Burgess (musicianburgess [at] hotmail.co.uk)
Closing Date: 16 December 2022
- EPTA Lancaster/Manchester
Sunday 22 January 2023
Performing Arts Studio, Rossall School, Broadway, Fleetwood, Lancashire, FY7 8JW
Adjudicator: Adam Swayne
Organiser: Yvette Price in association with the Rossall School
Closing Date: 8 January 2023
- EPTA North East
Saturday 28 January 2023, 12:30–4:30pm
Jesmond United Reformed Church, Burdon Terrace, Jesmond, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 3AE
Closing Date: 15 January 2023
- EPTA Essex
Sunday 29 January 2023
Brentwood School, Middleton Hall Lane, Brentwood, Essex, CM15 8EE
Organiser: Sharon Goodey
Closing date: 14 January 2023
To attend the EPTA Essex competition as an audience member, registration is required. Click here to book.
- EPTA Cambridge/EPTA Hertfordshire & Bedfordshire
Sunday 29 January 2023
The Bateman Auditorium at Gonville and Caius College, Trinity Street, Cambridge CB2 1TA
Adjudicator: Anthony Williams
Organiser: Ilga Pitkevica
Closing Date: 31 December 2022
Round 1 Entry Instructions
All entries must be submitted via this form (https://forms.office.com/r/wP2gjttsSF) by the closing date set by the organiser(s) of the first rounds.
After completing and submitting the entry form, please proceed to pay the entry fee here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/epta-uk-competition-2022-23-round-1-entry-tickets-440472684657
The entry form and payment box will become live on 21 October 2022 at midday.
Entries will not be accepted without payment 24 hours after the closing date shown above.
Regional Final Rounds
The adjudicator of Round 1 will choose a maximum of TWO performers from each class to go forward into the regional final rounds. Participants may play the same or different repertoire in round 1 and the regional final round as long as the grading level remains the same.
There are to be two regional final rounds during February and March:
- Sunday 5 March 2023, Recital Room, City Lit, 1-10 Keeley Street, Covent Garden, London, WC2B 4BA
- North Region date and venue to be announced.
All classes will be represented in the regional final with 1st, 2nd and 3rd places in every class. Prizes awarded to each of the two regional final winners of each class as follows:
- Preparatory £15
- Elementary £20
- Intermediate I £25
- Intermediate II £30
- Advance I £35
- Advance II £40
- Advance III £45
- Advance IV £50
We hope to give recital opportunities for the winners and they will be contacted nearer the time.